Tuesday 19 December 2017

Yule Art Journal

I'm back with some of Anna Brim's Patreon artwork. This month I've been playing with the December artwork. There's a really nice mix of themes for this month, cute, abstract and a bit more technical. It meant I could try out a few different things. As usual I decided to create a journal spread, which quickly became two. I didn't have a plan at all, I had a few choice craft items, Anna's printed artwork and a Daphne's Diary magazine. The first piece of artwork that drew my eye was the mixed media Santa. I love the different textures used, especially the fluffy pom pom at the end of his hat!

  IMG_5809

I had to pair this up with the green mixed media scrapbook paper design. This was the foundation of the page. Coincidentally, the same day my quote a day calendar happened to have 'The most wonderful time of the year' featured so it had to be added to the spread. I lined this up with the cute star, the colours and playful font matched well with the dotted line around the star.

  IMG_5810

I'd been flipping though the Daphne's diary and one of the features showed a Forest image with wild Deer. It had been snowing the same weekend of creating this, everywhere except where I lived! So I brought the snow to my artwork. The Robin fitted well with this, I like the miss-match in proportion, the tiny Forest and Deer and giant Robin!

  IMG_5808.jpg

Lastly I finished the page with Anna's 'Merry Christmas' wreath with tradtitional festive colours complimenting the scrapbook paper behind it. As a final addition, for no reason at all, I added a black and white sticker from Daphne's diary in the bottom left corner. I then, as I was in the flow, decided to create another spread. I had to use Anna's Stag, it was originally designed to be a Christmas card (something that will come in handy as I haven't bought one for my works Secret Santa!). I'd seen a lovely Pinecone layout in the magazine with white, gold and blue. I had to pair it with the Stag, the rich colours of both fitted so well together.

  IMG_5805.jpg

Next I needed to pull the page together. I knew I wanted to use the star swirls, again no plan but was determined to put them on the page. After flipping through the magazine for a little while, I found a lovely image of some cuddling Polar Bear. I added this to the page and put the star swirl above it, it's actually ended up looking a bit like a full moon!

  IMG_5807

I finished of this main bit of the page with another small swirl, a border from a page in the magazine as a central point and stripey gold shimmer washi to compliment the Stag's crown. I used a mixture of blue and purple watercolour to fill in the gaps. The page didn't quite feel finished and I had some journal card sized artwork. One of which is a Spiritual Woman/Deer, at least that's how I see her. I backed this with some more mixed media artwork, beautiful purples/blues with yellow/white spoldges, almost looking like fireflies. I used the same washi to create a tip-in centrally on the page.

  IMG_5806

I'm so pleased with how these pages turned out, I felt so festive creating them!
 Thank you for stopping by, Kelly.

 Where else you can find me:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoUNZVBg0Qe8n0Y87Sb4u6w https://www.instagram.com/the_scrapbook_girl/
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheScrapbookGirlShop


No comments:

Post a Comment