Monday 23 June 2014

Book Review - Wood Angel by Erin Bow




I have to 100% admit that this was one of those occassions where I judged  a book by its cover. I couldn't help it really because the cover artwork is just so beautiful and it totally appealed to my inner love for fairies in the garden. The story however was actually nothing about fairies! That wouldn't have been a disappointment to me at all had the story been a little better.

OK maybe that is quite a harsh thing to say. It wasn't bad as such. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy (mostly) the read. It was gripping enough in as much as I really wanted to find out what happened so that kept me reading until the end but I just don't know what it is. To me the synopsis sounded more exciting than the book actually was. Here is the book synopsis:

Plain Kate lives in a time afraid of magic. She has a gift for carving 'lucky' wooden-charms. Known as Witch-Blade, her unusual gift attracts dangerous attention in a place where witches are burned. When her village falls on bad times, suspicion falls on Kate. Scared for her life, she seeks the help of a mysterious stranger. In exchange for her shadow, the stranger will assist her, but Kate becomes part of a terrifying plan, darker than she ever dreamed.

Now the synopsis for me sounded pretty good, I have to admit I also love books about witches and I also love books that are slightly dark or macarbe so this sounded to me like it was going to tick most of my boxes. I thought this was going to be more Salem witch trial like but it wasn't.

I found Kate to be a little pathetic and I just couldn't gel with the book which is odd when the book was gripping enough to find out what happened, very odd!

The synopsis sounded fantastic but all in all my overall impression of this book was a bit 'meh'. Oh well on to the next book!


No comments:

Post a Comment