Wednesday 20 February 2013

WOYWW - A mess and my new journal!

Another Wednesday and so another What's on your workspace Wednesday. I love taking part in these but more over I love having a good nose on what everyone else is up to over here.

So what is on my desk today?






A whole heap of a mess that is what! My Mother in Law came round the other evening with a carrier bag full of cards left over from Christmas and thought that I might be able to use them in a crafty project. She was certainly right. What you can see on the desk at the front there is my new art journal I have made using greetings cards. At the bottom of this post is the You Tube video for Jennibellie as this was made using her tutorial.

Also on my desk I have my PVA glue which I have used to stick it all together with. Next to that is my printer / scanner which I was using earlier to scan some of my artwork. Behind that is my pink and brown sewing box. To the right is my kindle with a couple of pretty papers on top. To the right again is my vase of red roses that my gorgeous hubby bought me for valentines day. Then more papers, and my filofax, scissors, pen and some keys. A whole jumble of a mess but I don't think you are having fun unless you create a mess!

So some more close up photos for you...

Firstly of the flowers as the are lovely. Excuse the brightness of the photos, the sun is streaming in and I have to have the curtains closed a bit else I can't see!


I have bound my own journals / books a while ago before I came accross Jennibellie and her tutorials. I had watched her greeting card tutorial and thought I must save some cards for this (saves them going to recycling) and then they turned up which is rather timely as I have nearly finished my current book!

And now close ups of the journal itself...


In her tutorial, Jennibellie paints her cards to remove the designs and writing. I decided to cover mine in leftover scraps of scrapbooking paper and book paper as I will use this as an art journal it will provide either a nice colour or textural element to the base layer or I might even gesso over the page as I go. Not sure yet.





And that's it. It looks complicated but is relatively easy and certainly something that I will do in the future!

If you would like to make your own greetings card journal, check out Jennibellie's video below.



12 comments:

  1. I love your chuncky art journal... I always bind my own journals in the same way (at least, that's what it looks to me... the 'band-binding'?) Thanks for the detail photos, I love peeking on your desk and process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous flowers and love your journal design, lots of lovely things in progress x Happy WOYWW Heather # 72

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog post - My desk is quite tidy at the moment. Might not be that way when i craft this evening lol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous journal and great use of those cards. Have a fun week crafting.

    Linda #106

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting idea - I always feel wasteful just recycling all the Christmas Cards. I am keeping your post open so I can watch the tutorial. Have fun with your journal. Happy WOYWW to you from Helen 82

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy WOYWW what a fabulous post - lots of lovely things to see. Your art journal is great. Gill x #103

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great use for cards! I will watch the video at home (with sound!). Love the roses your hubby gave you for V-Day. How sweet!
    Winnie#93

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have a very busy desk there but it looks a lot of fun and a really great use of the cards
    Wishing you a really great WOYWW
    Ria #73

    ReplyDelete
  9. The journal looks great fun - wish i hadn't been so quick to mine in the recycling now ! It will be a great little book to work in ! Enjoy ! I agree - messy means fun ! Ali x #27

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi All, thank you so much for all your comments and so glad that I have inspired you all (via Jennibellie of course) to create something with your left over cards x

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a neat journal you made and your flowers are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That journal is gorgeous! A great way to have new art supplies and help our Earth in the process. Love it!

    ReplyDelete